Thursday, November 17, 2005

My Job Interview to the Voter

I am interviewing with you the voter to accept me as your representative in the Nevada State Assembly. I am posting here questions I have been asked during real job interviews and my answers:

GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT

What would you consider to be the greatest accomplishment of your life and why?

I consider the greatest accomplishment of my life as being a successful Artillery Logistics Battery Commander in the United States Army. I chose to pursue command because of the leadership opportunity the position presented and to test myself with that level of responsibility. Upon accepting the privilege of command, I set specific goals for the unit and myself. I wanted to tie this diverse organization into a tight coherent team that all members could be proud of. I wanted to have a unit that soldiers outside the unit would want to be a part of more than their own. I wanted to make the soldiers' family members part of the team. I wanted to have fun. I had to overcome a lot of preconceived notions that the unit I took command of was a unit where soldiers were sent when they failed elsewhere in the battalion. To reach my goals, I made it clear to soldiers that loyalty goes down the chain of command as well as up, that I would fight for them and protect them to the best of my ability; I made issues affecting evaluations, awards and pay, my top priority. I planned a battery trip to a large local amusement park in Germany and used battery family support group funds and fund raisers so that it was free to soldiers and family members. I conducted very candid sensing sessions with the lowest ranking soldiers to evaluate my progress. I established an 'open hallway' policy which encouraged soldiers of all ranks to approach me any time in or out of the office to ask questions or make comments. While other batteries had problems every weekend with domestic disturbances and soldiers getting in trouble, the incidents in my unit were nearly non-existent. I knew I had accomplished my goal when soldiers from other batteries in the battalion began to approach me about joining my unit or for help with problems.

1 comment:

Richard Disney said...

I am finding as my baby daughter gets older that she is my greatest accomplishment. As she gains focus and begins to use her faculties, I am sharpening my own focus and faculties.