Wednesday, November 30, 2005

First on the No-New-Tax Issue

I am the first of all Nevada State Legislative candidates to sign the Taxpayer Protection Pledge. I signed it willingly and sincerely. By taking a leadership position on an important issue, one can change the course of politics. Leadership IS influence and I have forced my competitors to move to a more conservative track.

My challenge to the hopefuls running for Nevada Assembly District 26 has moved them to take a more conservative position than they had previously occupied. I am glad to see that the race for Assembly 26 is having a positive conservative influence on candidates throughout the state. I truly believe that voters in Nevada and especially in my district just want to be left alone. Individuals should keep more of their money in their pockets and the government at every level needs to realize that. In 2003 we endured a tax increase of well over $800,000,000. That is $800 MILLION DOLLARS! I just wanted to everyone to realize how many zeros there are in the biggest tax increase in Nevada history. In the last legislative session there was a declared surplus of well over $600 million. I have heard some sources report (with no objections) that the surplus was really well over $800 million. About $300 million was rebated to the taxpayers and another $300 million was put away in a "Rainy Day Fund". You know why the state government doesn't want it known that the surplus was $800 million right? Because it is patently obvious that the tax increase of 2003 was UNNECESSARY.

I signed The Pledge and posted it on my website for all to see to illustrate the commitment I have to the people of Assembly District 26 and all of Nevada. One can only hope that other candidates are taking The Pledge because of their core values and not just to curry favor with the voters to get into office and then change their tune. It is a positive sign for candidates to sign The Pledge because if they ever DO vote for a tax increase or fail to fight against one, there is ample reason for constituents to boot that assemblyman out of office. When it comes to more candidates following me on making commitments not to raise taxes, I say, "Come on in the water's fine!"

Besides committing not to raise taxes, I have also committed publicly to propose the repeal of two bad laws for every new bill I introduce. I am dedicated to fighting for less government regulation. We have a law factory in Carson City. We must restrict its production as much as possible. I will do my best to keep legislative sessions limited to 120 days every other year. As Will Rogers said, "The only time a man's life, liberty, and property are safe is when Congress is NOT in session." I will continue to repeat that quote. I have always been wary of candidates that tell the people about what legislation they are going to get passed to create more laws. I want fewer laws not more. I want to get rid of as many bad laws as possible. I was asked recently what I considered a bad law. I didn't need to hesitate before answering that a bad law to me is any law that restricts or regulates individuals beyond what the U.S. and Nevada Constitutions permit. There are PLENTY of bad laws to choose from. There is not a scarcity of laws that should face the ax.

Governments create laws to restrict people. Constitutions restrict governments. We must always remember that every publicly elected person must swear an oath to support and defend the state and national Constitutions against all enemies foreign and domestic. I took that oath as a U.S. Army officer and still stand by my oath. The voters of District 26 and the State of Nevada can be assured that I will uphold my oath as an Assemblyman.

No comments: